Laurie Thames

This is a website to provide regular updates on the status of the breast cancer treatments for Laurie Thames.

Name:
Location: Garland, Texas, United States

On December 20, 2005, Laurie was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma, the most common type of breast cancer. The tumor was small (about 0.7 cm) and was found during a routine mammogram just before Thanksgiving. A call-back assessment was conducted on December 2, and a biopsy conducted on December 20. Her diagnosis was received on Thursday evening, December 22. Not exactly the Christmas present we were looking for, but in spite of that, Christmas in Dallas with family was all-the-more precious.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

I Didn't Know Gold Came in a Syringe! (Mar. 4, 2006)

Because Laurie's blood counts had dropped so low after her first round of chemo, Dr. O'Shaughnessy decided to give her a shot of Neulasta today, the day after her second round. Neulasta is a wonder drug that stimulates the bone morrow to produce more blood cells. Even though the chemo is killing cells, so many new ones are being produced that it overwhelms the effects of the chemo. Basically the chemo can't keep up and the blood counts stay up, helping the body fight off infection.

When her blood counts fell as a result of the first round of chemo, Laurie was given an antibiotic. It helped her fight off infections in the interim and helped rebuild the blood counts, but the antibiotics spawned a few other problems we wanted to avoid, thus the Neulasta.

So we headed back down to Baylor. Laurie was feeling much better, even if only a little chagrinned when I told her about her behavior the day before. Of course, she was able to explain exactly what she meant about the toilet seat lids. . . . Yeah, right!

The bone-marrow lab seemed deserted when we arrived for the miracle shot. We finally found where to go, but still hadn't seen anyone yet. We'd just finished signing in when we noticed a young lady exit one of the lab rooms. She pleasantly asked if she could help us. We explained why we were there.

"Oh," she said with a smile, "you must be Laurie." (they are just so smart down there!).

She led us back into the lab, sat Laurie down, and picked up a small box not much bigger than two packs of cigarettes end to end (don't ask how I know that!). In the box was a small syringe with a few milliliters of clear liquid inside.

"I hear that stuff is pretty expensive," I said as the tech put on her gloves and picked up the syringe.

"I think it's the most expensive drug on the market," she replied.

I tried to pay attention, but kept wondering who would pay for the stuff if she accidently dropped it on the floor! I snapped back to reality as she continued.

"I sure hope they funnel the money they get for this back into research," she quipped as she finished the injection. We all chuckled.

From start to finish we were in the building for barely ten minutes. I was trying to think how much that one shot cost us per hour! :-) In case you're wondering, with the shot she'd just taken and the chemotherapy from the day before, we figured Laurie was walking around with enough money coursing through her veins to buy a nice new car! I decided then and there that pharmaceuticals is the ticket if I ever want to get rich! Thank the Lord for insurance!

Now if we could only find a way to get to that money. I wonder if I could sell her . . .

Just kidding, Hon! :-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry you haven't heard from me recently. I've been in Houston with my precious grandson. I'm hooked! You are not forgotten though. I hope you are as entertained by the description of your days as we are. Sorry you have to be the one living this out.
Just remember, summer will be here before we know it. Pray for rain. You are in my prayers as well as your family. Love, Barbara S

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home